Humble ISD District Legislative Committee
Posted by Texas Education on January 16, 2009
I attended last nights 2nd meeting of the Humble ISD District Legislative Committee. Of course, the purpose of this meeting is to bring awareness to the general public and the Texas Legislature, the concerns of the district (as well as all other districts in Texas) concerning funding (or lack thereof) for the school districts of Texas. Since my main purpose of blogging is educating those on Texas education, my reasons for working with such a group. Last nights attendance was not nearly a great as the first meeting, but I must say, for those in attendance, a great group of people determined to help our children get the education deserving of each and every child in the state of Texas, especially those in Humble.
Last night, the Board Legislative Committee Chair Charles Cunningham and board member Dan Huberty briefed the committee on legislative happenings since the first meeting of the District Legislative Committee.
Members met in combined sub-committees and generated the following action plans:
Targeted Message/Written Message
Margaret Fraissinet and sub-committee members reported:
- The targeted message will be articulated around WADA (weighted daily average attendance) inequity.
- Over the next week, he committee will develop a simple slogan and a summary of concerns regarding the broken state funding system.
- The reality of no new revenue for local school district from any new local taxes due to new properties on the tax roll or higher appraised property values will be included.
The targeted message will define what the broken state funding system “means to me.”
Nancy Morrison and sub-committee members reported:
On a monthly basis,
- The committee will take the targeted message and publish editorials in the newspapers.
- Identify and compile a contact listing of community organizations for communication purposes.
- Communicate and provide community organizations with draft communications and contact information that can be used for communicating to state elected officials.
- Develop and establish a blog
Allan Griffin and sub-committee members reported:
- The committee will attempt to get high school(s) Government classes, Student Council representatives, etc. to organize a learning field trip to Austin during this legislative session. Before going to Austin, students will be informed about Education issues and problems facing the Legislature, especially targeting school finance.
- Work with Karen Collier to prepare and share a talking points and information packet to be used when in Austin visiting with legislators and their education aides/chiefs of staff.
- Identify “freshman” legislators and Education and Finance/Appropriations committee member legislators as key contacts for communications, in addition to our local state senators and representatives.
The North Houston Chambers of Commerce Day at the Capital
Tuesday, February 10th
The Humble Area Chamber of Commerce has reserved a small block of rooms for February 9th and those going up then will convene for dinner. On February 10th, there will be a luncheon for all with legislators at a cost of $37.50.
The State PTA Day at the Capital
Thursday, February 26th
There will be a rally on the south steps of the Capital at 11 am that morning and at approximately 1:30 pm, we will host a reception for our legislators and all from Humble ISD there.
Finally, please mark your calendar for our next District Legislative Committee meeting.
Thursday, February 12th 6:30 pm
Administration Building – Board Room